My colleague and I began this project by requesting information from the librarians who oversee the UT Libraries Help Desks. They sent us a week's worth of questions—about 400. I codified each question, and based on that analysis, I developed thirty possible tasks for users to complete. We took this list to the Libraries Website Working Group (a group of about 15 library staff) and reviewed it question-by-question until we had 26 final test questions. We recruited participants through an ad in a university-wide events e-mail, and after a pre-test screening questionnaire based on demographic information, we tested a mix of 12 undergraduate and graduate students. Each participant completed 13 tasks.
After the testing was complete, my colleague and I recorded our notes and reviewed the test videos to identify overall themes and problems with the design of the current site. With that information, we created a test report presentation, where we suggested possible solutions to each usability problem.
- Task-specific Themes, Test A (PDF 292 KB)
- Task-specific Themes, Test B (PDF 291 KB)
- Usability Test Report, without embedded videos (PDF 1.03 MB)
reated test questions; observed testing and asked follow-up questions; recorded observations; edited video recordings using Camtasia; identified overall usability themes and problems; suggested solutions for such problems; reviewed report presentation.